Re: [ST] Help needed for the old-time Newbie rider to the List

At 07:21 AM 7/23/2007, you wrote:

>Ah, I can hear the laughter all the way across the pond!
>
>Over breakfast, I realized that amongst all the other distractions
>last night (not the least of which was the fine ale I was
>consuming!), I neglected to find the drain plug!!!  I will try again
>later today.  Thx, Neil for being the first to point out this "minor
>oversight."
>
>However, my other two Qs are legit:
>What is the spec for oil volume and where does one have to go to see
>the recommended order of removal of screws and plastic?
>
>Having said that, it was an educational experience in getting to
>know my bike better...
>
>As for filters, this is the one the dealer sold me - even after I
>queried the efficiency of the Fram filters.
>I will look around Ottawa for other sources of filters in the
>future.  I have read on other lists that Purolator Pure One, for
>example, is a much better oil filter (if I could find one in this town!).
>
>Cheers,
>
>Brian

I will never use another Fram filter on any vehicle or tool that I
own after one exploded on my lawn mower, blowing most of its two
quart sump all over the motor and cowling.

Hey don't feel bad, I once drained the oil out of a triumph tr7 club
level road racer (Had just bought out one of my two partners at the
time also).
I knew that the entire system was designed to hold seven quarts of
oil, but even with the filter off, the fill cap removed, the pvc
breather popped off and an oil cooler line disconnected all I could
get out of the motor was about 4 quarts. Knowing that there should be
three more quarts in the motor, I kept racking my brain as to how was
I going to the rest of the oil out. Finally I called my ex-partner
and asked him how the heck he changed the oil.

It turned out that there were two drain plugs in the pan because it
actually had two separate sumps. One of which was mostly hidden
behind a heat shield.
I felt like I was blind.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"