Re: [St] Oil Filter Search

At 09:54 AM 7/27/2007, you wrote:
>I don't believe the Fram filters are as bad as everyone makes them
>out to be.  I ran them on my cars for years with no problems.  On my
>Nissan 240SX, in fact, it was the highly regarded Nissan OEM oil
>filters which led to the demise of that motor (filter seal burst at
>high rpm, with all the oil being pumped all over the outside of the
>engine immediately), while the Fram filters worked perfectly for many
>years and thousands of track miles.  A friend of mine with another
>240SX had the same bad experience with an OEM Nissan oil filter, but
>he was smart enough to quit using them for good after the first time.
>
>You should be able to find the Purolator filter.  The Purolator
>PureOne filter is very solid and looks like it is constructed very
>well, and is rated highly by the cutaway tests.  It is about $5 at
>pretty much any auto parts store here in the US, you might have
>better luck finding it than the Supertech which I believe is only
>carried by Walmart.
>
>There is a comprehensive oil filter cross-reference here:
>
>http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html
>
>and the articles on that site about oil are very well researched and
>worth reading as well.
>
>Jim

Well 8 years ago, I would have agreed with you Jim that fram made
descent filters at a fair price. But then I did a round of oil
changes that included my three street cars and my lawn mower. One of
the cars blew out the sealing gasket about a week later and pumped
its oil all over the street. The lawn mower exploded the filter can,
pumped itself dry and ran for about 30 seconds before the cutoff shut
it down. And the Nissan pathfinder, filled the crappy undersized
filter, but had the bypass fail to open, which seized the motor later
that month.

I will not use a fram filter until they show me with a cut away that
they have redesigned every aspect of their design.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"