Re: [ST] Electric

At 09:12 AM 6/4/2007, you wrote:

>JES_VFR wrote:
> > Lithium batteries have great energy density, but if you loose control
> > of them they are like firebombs.
>
>I'm with you, after seeing a couple examples of how these batteries tend
>to fail the last place on earth I want to put several of them is between
>my legs.

The last electric car race that I attended with my sons was more than
a year ago.
Some of the big speed guys were using Lithium and Li-po batteries.
One of the lithium equipped cars hit something out on the course and
punctured the case. About two laps later it the car was just
enveloped in flames, the heat was intense enough to crater the
asphalt that we were racing on. Several of us threw buckets of sand
on it to smother it, but still took about two hours to cool off.

Also there was a loud bang in the pits, when one of the guys running
Li-poly packs had one explode. Fortunately he had the pack in a fire
& explosion proof box, so only the pack was destroyed.

but that certainly made me wary of lithium batteries

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"