Re: [ST] Electric

At 11:54 AM 6/4/2007, you wrote:

>It really is amazing how much potential energy they contain.  I recently
>watched a demonstration of a laptop battery that was forced into a
>"runaway" state and they let the fire burn for a couple minutes and then
>checked the temp with a infrared thermometer, it pegged it at over
>1000deg F.
>
>For the curious, have a look at this:
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJCZ4ayioCU
>
>I'd love to hear from someone with more knowledge about things like this
>since youtube is not exactly a beacon of truth.  One can only hope that
>the developers of the motorcycle concept were using the safer (and less
>powerful) lithiated metal phosphate cores.  Wikipedia has some pretty
>interesting articles on this material for anyone wishing to become a
>battery nerd. :)
>
>Nate
>00SprintRS

That one where they blow up the laptop was kinda like how the one in
the car on track went.
It was a 1/10 touring car rig with all the farkles on it (except a
heat and voltage cut off). On second it was racing around at 40+ mphs
and the next it was on its side and the entire car was going up in flames.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"