Re: [ST] RS Fuel Warning Light - Comments please

>Hi, I recently purchased a 955i  2001 RS on a 2003 plate with only 3,900 miles on the clock.

>As it had been standing in a warm, dry garage for some 18 months and had only done 50 miles during that
>time I knew that I was in for a new battery and had to be careful about going too quickly too soon.

>I have noticed that the fuel warning light often comes on for no apparent reason, i.e. plenty of
>petrol in the tank.  When I rode for the first couple of days I noticed that the fuel pump that sits
>in the petrol tank "whines and grumbled".

That's normal.

>That seems to have stopped mostly although 6 seconds after
>turning the ignition on, whether the engine is running or not the low fuel light usually come on.

>So, guessing - does the EMU turn the low fuel light on if the pressure in the fuel injection system is low
>or dodgy ?

The ECU doesn't monitor the fuel pressure. The regulator is a mechanical inner tank device.

>The 'bike seems to ride fine, almost as lively as my previous 955i Speed Triple.

I would say the fuel sender (under the tank) is at fault. You can perhaps try to clean it. But taking it apart
require taking the tank off (preferably mostly empty, you can lie it on one side and shim it at the bottom side
to get the remaining fuel level below the sender hole). You can change it too.

>cheers   Pete

Fred ST 02 BRG