Re: [ST] Weekly Charging of Battery needed...Explanation?

Hi Kevin,

  Kevin Dicks wrote:

> I also never use the kill switch to turn the bike off - never really
> understood the need for a kill switch on a bike when, generally, the key is
> right by the side of it (I know some bikes have the key elsewhere).

I once had a throttle cable seize in the fully open position.  Fast
(90mph+) approach to a busy junction, hit the brakes, watched the engine
redline as I declutched, so hit kill switch.  If I'd taken my left hand
off the clutch, I would have been ploughing on at full throttle, and
taking my right hand off the brake would have been a bit messy too.

There are probably other reasons to do with things like the steering
lock, althought that's unlikely on a bike.  I had that happen as a
passenger in a car.  Insane driver turned off key as a joke at night on
an unlit back road, turned a sharp corner and I heard the 'click' as the
steering lock activated.  Another pair of perfectly good underpants
ruined...

Anyway, I think the reasoning behind the kill switch is just to give you
a way to kill the engine whilst keeping control.  No doubt its existence
is shrouded in history and legislation that means it is 'just there'.  :o)

Andrew