Re: [ST] Is it time for a Tire Thread again??

On Jun 11, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Jeremy Witt wrote:

> I've also worn my AV46 down to near the wear bars.  And after some
> research, talking to some knowledgeable people in the tire testing and
> distribution fields, I've decided to give the Continental RoadAttack a
> try on the rear.  Has anyone tried the RoadAttack yet here on the
> list?

I've worn out 2 rear Road Attacks and 1 front.  I liked them, they
worked pretty well in the FL heat and seemed to resist squaring off
for quite a while, considering that all roads are flat and straight
here.  My first lasted somewhere around 8K, and the second I think
around 7K, since I was expecting it to make it through my summer trip
last year but it showed cords about 800 miles short.  To be fair, I
was pretty heavily loaded on that trip.  The front tire lasted
through both rears, but was severely cupped by the end.  The cupping
didn't seem to have much effect on stability or vibrations, though.

I switched to the Pilot Road front and rear, and I like those those
even more.  New tires always feel better, but the Pilot Road seems to
have resisted squaring off even more than the Road Attack, with
around 3-4K miles on it now, and does even better in the heat.  I
like the profile of the Pilot Road front, it seems taller and more
rounded than the Road Attach, and the bike seems to fall into the
corners better and track through easier.  I rarely encounter corners,
though, and both Road Attacks and Pilot Roads are far better than I
am, so my opinion about corners is probably not worth much.

Jim
2001 Sprint ST