Re: [ST] Caliper piston cleaning

At 12:17 PM 6/12/2007, you wrote:
>The progressively spongier front brake is a common problem.  Easily cured by
>taking off a caliper, insert a paint stir stick or similar between
>the pads to
>keep the pistons from coming out fully, squeeze the lever to push
>out the pots,
>then spray some brake cleaner around the pots at the caliper to
>clean.  An old
>toothbrush can help in some areas.  Take care not to pollute the brake pad
>surface...
>
>Spread the pads out a little, reinstall the caliper (mounting bolts
>get 40 Nm of
>torque) and repeat for the other side.
>
>You should enjoy a few thousand miles of good lever feedback.  It's
>the buildup
>of dirt that keeps the pots from moving properly in the seals.
>
>Hope it helps,
>
>--
>
>                                 ._O_.  '03 Sprint ST
>             -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 Thunderbird Sport       /~\

First off forgive me gang, as I have not gotten my sprint yet, I'm
still only riding my VFR. So some of these thought and questions
relate to how the Sprint 1050 compares to my Honda

First, how often would you people recommend cleaning the pistons on
the Sprints? Should it be done at some mileage interval, tire change,
oil change, pad change? I ask this because on the honda I only clean
the pistons when I have the calipers off which so far is when I
change tires or brake pads. Also does the choice of pad material (ie.
one of the low-dust pads) make a difference in the interval?

I never thought much about it before, but it does seem kind of
strange that motorcycle calipers do not use a second sealing ring to
clean the pistons like most vehicles do. Is there any particular
reason for that I wonder?

last though, has anyone ever tried one of the new dry Teflon sprays
on the exposed portions of the pistons? I would think that since it
is dry and rejects the dirt that it would help keep the pistons
moving smoothly against the seals. The spray would have to be kept
away from the pad material, so it might only be something to consider
when the pads are out of the caliper, but it certainly would seem
something to consider.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"