Re: [ST] Quick Dissolving Gear (long)

The short version: In my personal experience, the Joe Rocket Ballistic
pants and jacket, Sidi Strada EVO boots, Feldsher gloves (no model
info...) and the HJC Sy-Max helmet I was wearing when I crashed recently
all protected me from what would have been a really really bad case of
road-rash, and are all still useful (except the helmet of course, but I
bought another one just like the one I crashed in). I will probably
replace the pants for aesthetic reasons, and I have switched to a longer
"gauntlet" style glove because that is the one area where I had ANY
damage to my hide.

What follows is a more detailed account of the event:
My recent get-off in Joe's "Ballistic" pants and jacket resulted in one
1" diameter spot of road rash on one wrist due to my failing to securely
fasten the wrist closure and my summer gloves being too short to protect
that area. There are two similarly sized ragged looking areas on the
pants (outside of each knee) where the edge of the zipper cover seam is
torn. A couple of palm size spots on the seat of the pants are "shiny"
where I slid along on that part of my anatomy for some distance. The
toes of both (Sidi Strada EVO) boots are scuffed deeply into, but not
through the first layer of leather. The heels and outer edges of both
boots are scratched, but not deeply.  The jacket does not have a mark on
it. Likewise the (Feldsher) gloves. The Sy-Max helmet, which was the
second thing on my body to hit the ground has a deep gouge at the point
of impact just above the visor pivot on the right side. The visor
hardware on that side broke, but the visor, while scratched badly,
stayed attached. The rest of the helmet has scratches in the paint,
including the "plastic" chin guard. My face is no uglier than it was
before the wreck (my biased opinion). My brain still functions as well
as it did before also (which is of course no ringing endorsement... half
nuthin's still nuthin).
Post crash photography of the street shows that I was probably scooting
along a little quicker than I remember. The roadway had skid marks from
two vehicles: one gently curving and slowly widening mark about 25 feet
long which was created by the front tire of the ST, and four parallel,
straight skid marks about 15 feet long which were made by the rear
trailer tires of the semi that startled me into using too much front
brake while the bike was leaned over and turning. I appears that my
carcass interacted with the roadway (in some combination of bouncing,
skidding, and rolling) over a distance of some 45 feet {as measured from
where I think I hit the ground next to the arc described by the front
tire on the road, and the point the truck tires stopped which is the
point I stopped rolling/sliding}.  As stated above, the ONLY DAMAGE TO
MY HIDE was a small scrape on my left wrist. I (fortunately) did not
encounter anything except the ground with my body, and I apparently hit
that at a relatively flat angle. The only lasting pain I am experiencing
is my wife's increased antagonism toward my riding / owning a
motorcycle. Damage to the bike was limited to the right side. It skidded
on its right side for some distance before stopping against a lane
divider curb.

Mike
'06 ST (back on the road as good as new.)
Seattle

NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)=
 and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized=
 review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the=
 intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy al=
l copies of the original message.