Re: [ST] apple mac computers

At 11:28 AM 6/13/2007, you wrote:

>On 13 Jun 2007, at 15:55, JES_VFR wrote:
>
> > Well, I guess that Apple finally got the point.
> > I had an early mac and the never ending "upgrade the hardware/upgrade
> > the os" cycle was really irritating.
> > Then about 10 years back my dad bought a mac and he went thought
> > the same bit.
> > Need a new piece of software, you have to upgrade the OS to run it,
> > Oh wait, you have to upgrade the hardware to run the new OS.
>
>10 years back was during the time that Apple introduced the PowerPC
>architecture to replace the eariler Motorola 68000 based machines.
>They also introduced PCI card architecture about same time, and were
>struggling to sort out where to take System 7 - lots of money spent
>on the aborted 'copland' OS, so Apple was bringing in System 8
>(deeply unloved).  So lots of hardware change, and problems with OS
>compatibility and so on.  But that was 10 years ago.  We bought a G4
>Cube for our company in 2000, and it ran without problems until we
>retired it last year.  During that time we upgraded from OS9 to OS X
>- and had no need to upgrade anything in the hardware - it even ran
>'Tiger' without problem.   I think Apple learnt quite a lot during
>the late 1990s about how *not* to upgrade OS and hardware platforms -
>the transition to Intel processors has been remarkably smooth: our
>firm has a mixed community of older and new Macs, and we've only had
>one issue - a weird problem with TrueType fonts that was fixed after
>a while.
>
>We used to run Windows computers for most users.  We moved everyone
>over to macs over the last two years.  The reason for the move was
>simple - the windows computers were in need of almost continual
>support / fixing / rebuilding OS etc. - and with Macs we have almost
>no support issues at all.  Mostly they just work.  Not something we'd
>say about our Windows experience.
>
>Regards
>
>Gavin Lawrie
>ST'03

Well, It sounds like Apple finally got the picture.

I guess I'm just still a bit overcautious when it comes to Mac
because, I've was put through that crap before.
I mean I just keep thinking the old saying.
Fool me once.......

I do know that I'm not going to be changing every computer in my
house over to Mac at the same time, so I might just take a chance on
a new laptop and see what happens from there.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"