Re: [ST] The Dreaded Tire Thread....

On 23 Jun 2007, at 04:18, JES_VFR wrote:

> So all these variables have me wondering,
> which all of these factors effect the wear on a tire.
> Heat,
> humidity and rain,
> road surface,

In UK the tyre manufacturers do make a bit of a fuss about parallel
imports: apparently it is possible to ship in tyres from other
markets (for example the Middle East) and sell them for much less
than the UK spec tyre.   The cited concern is that the imported tyres
are formulated to suit the local conditions in the market, and would
are inappropriate for UK conditions.  Heat, Road Surface and
probability of wet weather riding are all factors I've seen
discussed.  All seems to make sense - a tyre that is designed to run
well in temperature in >100F conditions is less likely to have a hard
time getting to operating conditions in the <70F conditions of UK
summer.  In the 1980s it was common practice to change the 'Japanese'
tyres that came with a new bike for a European brand - on basis that
while Japanese tyres would last a long time, they didn't have much
grip and were hopeless in the wet.

Given the wide range of climatic conditions in the US, it would seem
likely that you'd see the same effects between parts of the country.
But given nature of the market, I guess having regional variations in
tyre might be difficult to achieve.  This might explain the
variations in performance you describe.

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03

(Road Pilots by the way - and working pretty well so far, but only
had them for 1000 miles so far.  Prefer to Azarros in dry, but not
sure about wet or how long they last).