[ST] Check Engine Light on

Stephen,

If you don't have an OBDII analyzer you won't be able
to determine the origin of the problem.
If you feel that you could need one on a regular basis, then you can buy one
at
http://www.scantool.net/ or elsewhere.
or buy a tuneboy w/o tuneedit
I built mine buying directly the IC from elm electronic. The softwares are free.

You have also the elektor alternative but I think that buying the IC is
complicated.

Whatever, if it's a temporary failure, it will go off after 3 complete cycles.
3 complete cycles means you go for a ride, it warms up completely. You park your
bike, then it's cooling down completely. Three times.

As a example of silly causes, a bad contact at the fuel gauge connector under the tank.
The fuel level indicator goes down to 0. It could be temporary. You could even not notice it.
Then the contact is back up and then the fuel level indicator goes up again but the MIL stays on until you
perform the 3 cycles. Actually, I had the feeling that it was sometime more 4 than 3.

And connecting the analyzer, I was able to see the code: hight impedance fuel sender (disconnected).
Then I clear the code and switch the light off w/ the software (PC or PDA).

Some said that disconnecting the battery is triggering the MIL too. I didn't have that on
my 02 ST.

Even a car dealer (PepBoy for ex) can read it. They charge an outrageous price for that(50~60 $).
I think the scantool is the just little more expensive and last for ever.

Fred ST 02 BRG