From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of halfast3
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 3:51 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ST] RIP?

>Rick - what did I miss....your '01 is RIP ?<

Kevin wins the prize for being the first to comment on my altered sigline.

Yeah.  It's been pretty busy around here for the last six weeks. Here's my
local post from 19 Feb:

Saturday [17 Feb.] was nice once the fog lifted and I had just changed the
Sprint's oil and cleaned off last season's bugs so it seemed logical to go
for a ride.  Needing to do some business at Cascade, I headed north up 175th
over Cooper Mountain.

Rounding the corner http://tinyurl.com/ysr5w7 at the bottom of the hill, I
was keeping an eye on a car which hadn't slowed much as it approached the
stop sign on Rigert Rd.  When I returned my attention to the road ahead it
was just in time to #@*&!

...run into the back of the Subaru in front of me which had stopped to make
a left turn.  It was one of those 'no room to stop and nowhere to go'
situations.  Big crunch; rider flies off bike into ditch dinging numerous
tender anatomical parts in the process.

It takes a while to scramble back to the bike and turn off the ignition but
at least I'm mobile though I'm quickly becoming aware of numerous painful
areas.  A young man helps me right the bike and I'm struck by how funny it
looks without headlights.  Anyway, we get the retrieval process activated,
gather up the pieces, push the bike to a safer location and take stock of
the damage: bent forks, instruments damaged, broken headlights and every
piece of painted plastic, other than the tank and the tail section, is
damaged in some way.  Even though all the major mechanical pieces appear to
be intact, I'm thinking there's no way this can be anything but a total.
I'll know tomorrow when the adjuster has a look.

On the personal side, in spite of Aleve, I felt pretty crummy Saturday
overnight into Sunday but decided that activity was better than sitting
around watching the bruises turn colors so I spent Sunday afternoon thinking
about being more focused while riding and removed the accessories, upgrades
and my mods in anticipation of the worst.

PS: My assumption was right.  Progressive's estimate came to $4800 + they
paid me for a new helmet and tank bag.  I bought back the remains and have
sold the engine and associated parts necessary to resurrect a friend's T509
(wiring, ecu, etc). Eventually I'll part it out though I'm too busy right
now, so don't ask.  I WILL give liSTeRS a chance at the available goodies
before I list them on eBay.

--
Rick in Oregon
'01 Sprint ST < rip :o|