Re: [ST] ST questions, at least a couple

At 12:28 AM 5/8/2007, you wrote:
>Hey John,
>Welcome to the list. We LiSTers are a mixed bag, and scattered from
>here to forever. I'm Pacific Northwest USA based. My '06 ST is non
>ABS, and since dropping it via the simple expedient of applying too
>much front brake at 15mph and locking the front I find myself
>wishing the '06 had been available in blue with ABS. Dumb reason not
>to buy the ABS, but I've never dropped a bike before, so I wasn't
>convinced I needed it. I tried the VFR and found it wanting, liked
>the Blackbird, but couldn't find a good one. The Trumpet Triple is
>intoxicating. Niggles? Two electro-mechanical: at 700 odd miles the
>ignition switch FELL OUT. A couple of 6mm socket head cap screws, a
>couple of drops of Loctite 262, and it was sorted. I didn't even
>call the dealer. The second was at about 2000 miles, the kick-stand
>switch needed a little tweaking: the engine would cut out when I
>rode over an especially nasty bump in my local road. I took it apart
>and cleaned it, put it back together and adjusted it to give just
>that little bit more room, and that problem has not resurfaced. My
>bike came on BT-020s and at 5700ish miles, the rear is squared off a
>bit, but LOTS of miles left. One difference between me and you: I
>ride solo exclusively (the wife won't even try on a helmet, much
>less ride with me.) I'm easy on tires (read old and slow) but I do
>like the B'stones. BTW I'm 6'2" and hovering at 210 lbs. I use the
>Cortech saddle and top bag system, and the factory hard bags are
>gathering dust in storage, but that isn't to say anything bad about
>the hard bags; I just don't use them.
>I hope this helps.
>Mike
>'06ST
>Seattle

Thanks Mike.
Well, I have never had an ABS bike (my 01 was not available with ABS
either), so that was why I was asking. As for color, I will be
getting Black, since I already have a red bike. I love my VFR for my
112 mile daily commute, it handles my bulk plus the luggage with
relative ease. I mean I'm 6' 1" after visiting the Chiropractor for
an alignment and I weight 228 as of friday. I'm fairly easy on tires
as well (I've got 8000 on the Avon Azarvo's and they look like they
can go another 6-7000), even though I like to go fairly fast and will
get all the way over to the shoulders of the tread if on the right
road. I like to think the old phrase "gentlemen's express" applies to
my bikes since I'm 40, but not really slowing down. In fact if it
were not for the urge to sport tour with my sons   (one is thirteen
and the other is going to be 8 next month), I would probably not need
another bike. The challenge arrives when I try to take my oldest son
who is 5'6" and nearly 200 lbs, plus his stuff for a couple day tour.
That extra weight is just too much for the VFR to tote without issue.
The couple of little things you have had go wrong don't seem to have been much.

How has the seat been for you?

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"