[ST] Ride report, Day 2 - FINALLY, LONG

Saturday, April 21.
      The morning was nice and clear with temperatures near the lower
   sixties.
      I grabbed a roll from the front lobby and a Dr. Pepper for a great
   all-American breakfast to get the day going. May not be what I would
   have liked to have but it was cheap and quick so we can get to riding.
      I talked to Hank and Ted briefly about our route home, stated we
   should leave in about fifteen minutes, and then went to the room to
   suite up.
      One of the advantages of the Oxford Inn to me is the bike sitting
   right in front of your roomâs door. It sure makes it easy to load the
   bags and walk out to secure them to the bikes.
      Once loaded I said my good byes to Bird Dawg as he was spending
   another day riding the great twisties. It saddened me to be heading back
   but I needed to stay to the trip plan as much as possible. Besides, I
   know heâll have a great time as solo in this area opens up some great
   opportunities to explore at your own pace.
      We pulled out of the Oxford onto Highway 23 south, followed it east
   at the red light, and then turned south before we left town to cross the
   river.
      I kept the speed down as it was cool, the tires were cold, and there
   was a slight coating of moisture from the heavy fog last night.
      Crossing the Arkansas River on the high arced bridge was pleasant as
   the sun shined on the water below. A nice sight to behold and the river
   banks were busy with workers as Ozark is developing the area into a
   river walk and dining area now.
      A couple of miles down the road we turned left on Highway 309 at Webb
   City and headed back to Mount Magazine.
      For about fifteen minutes I kept at the speed limit to make sure the
   ties warmed and for me to settle into the routine as the road was clear
   of traffic but we still had some housing areas to clear.
      Once outside of the housing area I raised the speed slightly as the
   road began to rise and dip and then turn into nice fifty to sixty MPH
   sweepers. The turns on the north side of magazine Mountain are open with
   great views and very smooth.
      It didnât take long to get back in the rhythm as the motor pulled the
   bike down for the turns; you bent the bike left and right, and then
   twisted the throttle to rocket down to the next turn.
         This was great fun for about twenty miles and then we slowed and
   made our way through Paris with light traffic.
         Once we cleared Paris 309 started climbing and the turns were
   attacked closer together as we started the climb up the north side of
   Mount Magazine.
         I kept the speeds under what I usually do as Hank and Ted are new
   to this part of the Ozarks and I donât want to tempt them into riding
   over their heads because of the fun factor. Thatâs not the way to do
   your first Ozark trip and I want everybody back safe and wanting to come
   back again.
      The north side climb is a lot more high speed turns and again I just
   slipped Merlin into firth gear and started rotating Charlieâs Distance
   Compressor, backing off for the turn, leaning over, and applying
   increasing throttle as the turn opened and I sailed down the straight to
   do it all again.
      Quicker than I wanted we made the straight that goes by the park
   office and we rode past right on the nickel showing what good sports we
   were.
      As I leaned left past the park office I increased the speed again and
   about five turns later pulled over at the overlook for one last glimpse.
      Then the decent down Magazine began.
      I like the road down but it is totally different from going down the
   north side as the south has a steeper decent and the turns are much
   tighter.
      You have to pay attention a lot more as you can get into these turns
   too hot and then youâre in trouble. Boys, just keep repeating âTrust the
   tires, trust the tiresâ.
      Third gear was the proper selection here with a few second gear
   downshifts as the upper and middle turns were disposed of.
      About two thirds of the way down the turns start opening up and Iâm
   back into forth and it provides enough braking to keep me off the
   brakes.
      I had already told Hank and Ted that they shouldnât see muck brake
   light from me if I was riding the hills correctly. If you saw the brake
   light more than a few times then I wasnât riding they way I should be
   with this bike.
      Oh, and that wonderful triumph triple howl as we climbed above 6,000
   RPM really got my morning going.
      Once at the base I stopped at the intersection of Highway 10 in
   Havana and we re-grouped. Nice job boys, we all made a safe climb and
   decent across Magazine.
      We then went east on Highway 10 to Danville and then through town
   were we got back on Highway 27 south.
      At the intersection of Highway 28 we turned right and rode through
   Rover to Briggsville about five miles away.
      Once in Briggsville I took us on the short loop that Highway 307
   offers. This is one beautiful road with hardly ant traffic ever as it
   sweeps through a flat valley with mountains away on your right and tree
   covered river bank about a quarter mile away on your left. This road
   rocks and Merlin was in full stride today as we howled down the
   straights, clicked down a gear or two, leaned, and pulled the trigger
   again. I love this road as it is a great play place.
      I made some distance and then would get off the bike and wait for
   Hank and Ted to snap a few pictures of them coming through the turns.
   Then Iâd re-mount and blast away again and repeat the picture
   opportunity at least twice.
      Once we were all at the intersection of Highway 28 we headed west and
   rode through a National Forest with great open sweepers as we climbed
   and then descended toward Needmore where we would pick up Highway 71
   again back to Mena.
      One of the great turns in Arkansas is on Highway 28 near Harvey as
   you lean into a left sweeper that just keeps going and going and going.
   This is one of the longest turns I have ever ridden. Itâs fast and must
   go on for close to a half mile with the bike tilted over and a big smile
   on your face. But not to worry as you are then met by a tight right hand
   turn that has a sharp climb in the middle of it that requires second
   gear. Man I love this stuff and time just flies.
      At Needmore we turn south on Highway 71 and follow it back to Mena
   where we stop at the gas station and re-fuel.
      Once fueled we ride west through town on Highway 8 and start the
   climb back up the Talimena Parkway.
      The four tight switchbacks are more fun as you climb up them and then
   itâs forth gear and a repeat of the lean, twist, and shout! Itâs a great
   day and pretty clear so I pulled over at a few overlooks, took a
   picture, and then re-mounted to enjoy the road.
      Thereâs also great views going west as in several places you can look
   at the peak in front of you one after the other to see the road
   climbing. Itâs easy to see yourself riding up the next peak but you
   better pay attention to the one youâre on or you might not have to worry
   about it!
      At the Queen we pulled in and parked the bikes among a sea of
   cruisers and went inside for lunch. When I say a sea of cruisers I mean
   it as there were bikes from the east end of the parking lot to the edge
   of the zoo.
      We enjoyed a nice buffet lunch and I comments how our bikes stood
   out. It was quite a piece of eye candy as this long line of black or
   dark blue bikes was broken in the middle by my bright red and Hanks
   bright yellow Triumph Sprint ST.
      We finished lunch and ran the rest of the parkway without issue
   except that big creeping smile on our faces again. I did the run forward
   and try to take a picture routine again but kept missing Ted as the old
   camera has a delay  between shots and it didnât cycle fast enough to get
   Ted as he was right on Hankâs tail. I guess this proves that a cruiser
   can play with the sport bikes when they both want to.
         We soon found our bikes at the base of the parkway and turned left
   to Talihina.
         After Talihina we stopped once more at the water outlet at Sardis
   Lake fro a break and then a photo opportunity at the end of the dam.
         I had all three bikes in line when a van pulled up behind us as I
   was aiming the camera and stopped.
         I just held my hands up like âWhat the heck are you doing. Canât
   you see Iâm trying to take a pictureâ?
         Then the passenger door swung open and a woman jumped out and said
   âyou want me to take all of your picturesâ?
         I do this all the time on vacation, on bike trips, and at the
   museum but this is the first payback I remember.
         Soon we were back on Highway 43 headed west to Stringtown with
   Hank leading, Ted in the rocking chair, and myself playing tail gunner.
         Hank kept a nice pace and we were soon out of the good stuff and
   back at the interstate.
         Now the ride was boring and I dread it every time but we droned
   into Atoka and stopped to fuel the bikes.
         Ted said his goodbyes and left before Hank and I and must have had
   a good pace as we never caught him but I did keep the speed down as
   deputy dog is out in force today.
      The Red River soon was beneath us and I gave her a much deserved
   salute as we re-entered civilization.
      More droning and we crossed about sixty miles of flat heavily
   trafficked Highway 75 through McKinney to Highway 121 where I waved bye
   to hank and leaned Merlin into her last curve as we exited right to head
   home to The Colony.
      This was senior prom night for Hollie and I was torn between seeing
   my parents on the way home or her before she left and I had just enough
   time to get home before she left.
      When I got home I realized her and my wife was gone and I had
   forgotten my house and gate keys.
      I remembered where the limousine was picking them up and rode over to
   a friendâs house and walked into the living room in full riding gear and
   faded into another sea. This time the sea was fucoids!
      Hollie looked great and she gave me a hug before boarding the twenty
   passenger limousine. I then left the house and headed home with Billieâs
   keys.
      I rolled Merlin into her fortress, unloaded, and took a cool shower
   that felt great.
      Now, just when is that next trip???

Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
972-952-5065
"I'll see you on the dark side of the Moon"

If you spend a perfect afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, then your
dog has taught you how to live.