From: Jeremy Witt
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 4:41 PM
Subject: non-Triumph Motorcycle FS (excellent beginner/short person
bike!)

Long story not even remotely short, this Hawk was found in a dealership,
July 2001, in very nice shape, with only 2406 miles on the clock.
Clearly the bike had suffered a low speed slide on the left side,
radiator spout tweaked, side parts scraped, rear cowl lost all but one
mounting point.  The most recent inspection sticker showed an expiration
date of June 1993, suggesting that low side caused the Hawk to be parked
in a garage for the next 8 years, probably until the owner got over it
and brave enough to trade in on a GSXR-Something.

It has lived with me since, first as my ride, then Deanne's, after her
"Practice" Hawk went in partial trade to another Hawk friend for a
rebuilt Sprint ST (my second bike with a SSS!) in various colors.
Deanne has lower back issues that have prevented her from riding any
motorcycle since early last summer, so it needs a new home where someone
will ride it frequently.

This Hawk has taken me to 3 Georgia Hawk Rallies and one U Michigan
graduation.  Only issues I've encountered were early signs of the fuel
pump slowing down.  Thanks to a Hawk friend, it has a functional fuel
pump again.  It appears to have lived inside prior to my ownership and
since as well, so the usual sun/wind/salt damage is minimal.

What I've done to it:

This '88 Blue has just over 40k miles, a Fox Twin-Clicker rear (missing
the locknut, but hasn't moved/self-adjusted in 20k miles), Race Tech .95
front springs with Gold Valve Emulators (and 15W fork oil), SS front
brake line, Corbin G/F + Lady (blue welt), Laser shorty exhaust, comes
with near-matching Targa fairing, near-matching Fastbag tailbag
http://www.fastbag.com/english/xx60l_e.html, brand new Dunlop 208 rear
tire with about 150 miles, Napoleon bar-end mirrors, and the
(Hawklist)-famous Milktree (Will Turano) Lighting Harness (considerably
brighter low and high beams).  Everything else is stock.

The frame is a bit cloudy in spots from the PO's attempt to clean it up
with S100, which was left on too long and ate into the clear coat in
some spots.  Tail section is still scratched up and missing most of its
tabs.  Tank has a very small dent next to the gas cap and a bunch of
small scratches.  It runs a little rich as I have not done a thing to
the carbs since adding the Laser pipe.  And the sprocket cover is still
cracked when the master link clip let go THE DAY AFTER I returned from
an FEHR.  Will (Milktree) helped me set the front preload properly, the
rear still needs tweaking from someone who understands suspensions!
FYI, I'm about 205 fully armored and the front end feels pretty perfect
to me.

It doesn't qualify as a Rat Bike, but it's not winning beauty contests
either.  First bit of reading I did after joining the Hawklist was the
part about "improve the brakes and suspension BEFORE messing with the
engine!"  I took care of the brakes and suspension and started on the
engine, pretty was to come later.  I have pics, but I have misplaced the
damn cable that connects it to the computer, so please ping me off list
with interest and I will get you pics.

Based on advice and the all the add-ons, I'm spamming the list(s) with a
price of $2500 before I send it off to eBay.

Thanks for reading!

Jeremy Witt

Newbury Partners

www.newburypartners.com