  From: "Bil Swartz"
  To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: Re: [ST] bleeding brakes
  Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 22:32:41 -0400

  Antonio Bird wrote:
  > I have had a 2001 Sprint RS since the end of last year. Like it a
  lot,
  > but have had a bit of a bit of a problem with the front brake
  getting
  > spongy/long lever travel.

  Tony,

  I suspect you could do with the commonly known solution of a piston
  cleaning.
  I'm not sure if we have any ready reference to point you to, but it
  generally
  means displacing the calipers, placing something between the pads
  to prevent too
  much displacement such as a paint stirring stick, squeezing the pots
  out a bit
  but not too much, cleaning the pots with brake cleaner and maybe an
  old
  toothbrush, then reassembling.

  Don't get too crazy with the cleaning, it doesn't take much. All
  you are after
  is getting rid of the crud that stops the pistons from moving
  in/out optimally,
  and it really doesn't take much. Once done, you'll enjoy firm
  brakes for a few
  thousand miles.

  HIH,

  --