[ST] Adjustable Temperature gauge?

Recently there was a discussion about overheating. I
think my thermostat gage is reading a bit on the low
side. When riding it's a few whiskers into the
"normal" range. When in stop-n-go traffic the fan will
kick on - I suppose because the motor is hot, but the
gauge is reading less than 1/2 way up in the "normal"
range.
Ideally I'd like to adjust the gauge to read just a
bit below the red line when the fan comes on.
No I haven't tried a new sending unit but I'm thinking
about it.
-
Also, I'd like to put a little red led to light up
when the cooling fan does come on. Would I need a
resistor in the circuit so as to not pop the light?
-
Thanks.