Re: [St] Older Triumph information search

Great story.

I got nothing- good luck though.

-----Original Message-----
From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steven
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 10:50 PM
To: st@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [St] Older Triumph information search

I don't know if I made this public on this list or not, so bare with me
for a bit of a story.

Back in 1982 my parents were selling off the last of their Triumph
motorcycles, as the company was folding and they were a dealer.  One of
these bikes was purchased by a life long friend of my father.  It was a
T140EX, and Executive.  It came with a fiberglass fairing, panniers, and
a topbox.  25 years later Dad finally completed the deal and bought it
back from his friend.  Mainly because it's been sitting in a shed for 20
years being used by the local critters as a bed and breakfast.

The bike is now 'home' with my folks in Kansas City, and dad is slowly
getting it back in riding shape.  Suprisingly it didn't take much to get
it back running.  Dad drained the black-gas out of the tank(no rust!).
  Stripped, then chemically cleaned the carbs.  Rebuilt them with the
original rubber bits because they showed no age.  Kicked the bike over
to prime it...then started it with the BUTTON!  It runs!  The wheels
turn smoothly, the brakes need rebuilding, but otherwise it's actually
fairly sound.  The paint, I'm sorry to report, is trashed.  20 years of
fecal matter laying on the bike has done the paint in.  But dad has a
number of talented painters in the KC area he can call on to get it back
in shape.  Oh, another funny bit.  The seat cover is almost perfect!
But the rats got through the stitching at the front of the seat, and
practically hollowed out all the foam.

Anyway, as dad is building parts lists, he and I have been on a research
project.  No one seems to recall how many Executives were imported to
the USA.  Best guess from the 2 old time dealers here in MO, Carl
Donelson and Norman Jones(Engle Motors), is one per dealer.  But who
knows how many dealers were still left?  Does anyone out there have any
sources for this kind of information?  I'm particularly interested if
anyone from Riders of the Lost Empire are still on the list and might be
able to help us out.  I'll gladly join :)  Any assistance would be
greatly appreciated.

Here are some recovery pictures:
http://tinyurl.com/3ympeo
http://tinyurl.com/3a2vqh

They haven't sent me any update pictures yet, but dad's only had the
bike for about a month.  He's making some good progress on it, I think.
   And hopes to have one test ride around the block before winter really
sets in.

--
Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen
AMA Life Member #548538