Re: [St] Cold start circuit is no longer

On 10/29/07, Frederic NIZERY <frederic.nizery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I believe that the cold start circuit is not working. Which sensor
> >does the computer use to decide the bike is cold? Is it the engine
> >coolant temperature sensor? The temperature gauge is working fine.
>
> The coolant temp sensor seems to be located in the head at least for the 02.
> Hence, I don't see any additional coolant temp sensor (workshop manual).
>
> There is also the intake air temp sensor which is in the air box though. It is used
> to calculate the air density regarding the air temp.
>

> Fred ST 02 BRG

Found this in Haynes
"Cold starting is controlled by the ECM which reacts to information
sent by the intake air temperature and pressure sensors, and the
coolant temperature sensor, and adjusts the fuel requirements
accordingly - there is no manual method (i.e. choke) for assisting
cold starting"

Since the bike runs fine once warmed up and there is no MIL I am
guessing these are fine.

Also from Haynes
"The idle air control valve is actuated by the ECM and set according
to information received by the ECM from the various sensors. The valve
is used to control the engine idle speed, to adjust the air supply on
engine overrun, to correct for altitude, and for cold starting. The
idle speed cannot be adjusted manually."

So it looks like I have a gummed up stepper motor.

Thank everyone
Rupert