[St] clutch questions -- help

Last autumn, I bought a 2003 Sprint St with only 5K on it.  One of the odd
things I noticed was that, unlike my prior T5, there was sometimes a little
shudder when I let the clutch out.  Then, I noticed that same shudder when I
down shifted.  If I blipped the throttle, the clutch take-up was smooth,
without shudder.  Today, going into a tiny theme town where tourists travel
at 10mph, I put the bike in first to keep from running over gawkers and
Winnebagos.  I got shudder and a kind of lurching accompanied by some fairly
loud clacking.  I assumed that it was a poorly adjusted sprague clutch.
Called the local dealer (86 miles away) and the new service manager had to
drag out a service manual while he asked me if it had been properly jetted
and whether the air induction system had been removed.  Got that old sinking
feeling.

 Seems that after I put on the TOR and had the tune, the immediate roll on
from 0 was a bit sluggish.  The lurching almost seemed as though it was
Anybody out there have an idea what this collection of symptoms might
indicate?

Appreciate whatever you informed folk have to say.
Thanks in advance.
Lou