Re: [St] Fork service/Race Tech

At 02:14 PM 9/21/2007, you wrote:

>Well, the deeper I look, the more questions I have. I
>have been fighting with handling issues on this bike
>for a season and a half now. At first I thought it was
>my choice of tires. Ran several sets of stock 020s and
>loved 'em. Got a deal on several pairs of 014s, dont
>like them at all. Now the bike has 21k on the clock, a
>good portion of those two up. Fork service has not yet
>ever been done. Considering fork service shortly, was
>quoted $325 from local dealer. Wondering if I should
>also look to replace springs at the same time with
>something a little stouter. I'm 6'1" about 230,
>without gear. I am guessing the springs dont just
>"drop in", so adding them after the fork fluid service
>is prolly not an option, if I want to save
>money/labor. Opinions please...
>
>John

Well you are definitely in the over 100 class of person when you look
at the target physiology that bikes are designed for.
I would add heavier springs and get the fork serviced at the same time.
This is not race track tuning where you want to evaluate the change
that each variable makes.
look into the fork oil, maybe some gold valves or the like for your
forks while you are in there!

Oh yeah and I recommend the Avon Storms. I have them on my VFR and love them.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"