Re: [St] Your fueling yourself

So then Symptom #1, where the gauge reads full for nearly half a tank, then plunges like a lead balloon does not fall under the category of "they all do that"?  Somewhere in the last two years of Sprinting, I thought it did...and have lived with it.

________________________________

From: st-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Matt Knowles
Sent: Thu 9/27/2007 5:27 PM
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [St] Your fueling yourself

I also had a very early model. I probably would have been ok had I
just accepted the lousy accuracy of the design. However buying the
first red one (first one in was black) at my dealer, we had no way of
knowing "they're all like that" so being a quality dealer, they
replaced it under warranty. I probably got to be the guinea pig for
everything that happened after that too.

The replacement sender (1) had the problem of it being totally
sporadic rather than just consistently inaccurate. So it got replaced.

The replacement sender (2) had the same problem. At this point
Triumph realized that they had a problem and stopped replacing
senders until they got redesigned. So I waited.

Replacement sender (3) came in and got installed. Shortly after that
it started leaking fuel. Triumph realized that they had turned a
small problem into a bigger problem.

Replacement sender (4) was installed and since then she's lived
happily ever after, at least in that regard.

So during the first year, depending on when you bought it the sender:

1. would read full for a half tank then drop like crazy after that
2. would act like Captain Jack's compass, with the needle seeming to
have a mind of it's own
3. would act like a poodle and piss all over your legs

Option #4, that it would grow up and become a useful part of the
instrumentation sadly never happened.

On Sep 27, 2007, at 2:05 PM, Jack Hays wrote:

> Actually, the earliest ones were all right on fuel senders.
> Weasel Dawg and I had the first two sold in the US and ours never
> leaked or
> did anything other than occasionally reading full for the first 100
> miles
> and then dropping rapidly.
> At the end of the 99 model run the vendor changed compounds and
> things went
> downhill fast. Of course by the time it was found there were
> thousands of
> bikes all over the world.
> It lasted about a year plus as it showed up at varying times.
> I would not let them replace mine as it was good to go even though
> they
> wanted to.
> Still got it and no leaks. Uh OH! Man,I wish I hadn't said that!
> We're going through a vendor issue here at work now and it ill
> reflection
> us by those outside the walls.
>
> If it were me Dirty Dawg I'd just wait until the fuel gauge showed
> you need
> fuel, overheat the bike, and then drive off with a full tank of
> free gas
> :-)
> Sorry. At least it didn't leak crossing Engineering Pass in
> Colorado this
> time.

Matt Knowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707)