From: Young, Mike <myoung@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 1:13 pm
Subject: Re: [St] Cleaning

I'll use oven cleaner on bare cast iron (i.e. to de-grunge the nether
regions of Dad's old pick-up before diving in to change the starter
motor).  I don't think I'll ever find a need to use it on the ST. As it
comes out of the can it's nasty caustic stuff (pH in the 11.5 to 12
range) and will take the prints right off your fingers. Wear safety
glasses (good ones) and gloves. Rinse the heck out of everything you get
it on. A couple of squirts of vinegar (the cheap stuff) from a pump
spray will neutralize any stubborn spots, and will rinse of easily.
My annual chain lube eradication project is carried out using straight
Simple Green. All other bike cleaning chores are done using Simple Green
diluted as fits the task. For quick paint and shiny bit clean up between
"washes" I use a mixture of 10 parts DISTILLED water and one part Simple
green in a spray bottle. It keeps the water spots down if I miss a spot
while drying things off.

Mike
'06 ST
Seattle

> On Apr 1, 2008, at 8:51 PM, Karl Clark wrote:
> > What products do you use to clean with?
> > A friend advised Spray On Oven Cleaner and I gotta
> > tell you his motorcycle is sparkley. But has anyone
> > else done or heard of this?

NOTICE:  This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)=
 and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized=
 review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the=
 intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy al=
l copies of the original message.