Re: [St] Optimate charger

Int it possible to charge the battery on our Sprints via the fitted accessory socket? That way you dont need an extra set up for frequent use of the charger.

Brett.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eoin Kirwan <eoinkirwan@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:24 am
Subject: Re: [St] Optimate charger

On Tue 15 Apr 2008, marc Ve wrote:
> I'm wanting to buy a charger to try make my bike batteries last a bit
> longer.
>
> I can get a bike battery charger here called an "optimate".

Optimate is a very well known product in the UK and here in Ireland. Otherwise
known as a battery tender / smart charger. Designed to be left plugged into a
standing bike indefinitely without overcharging it.
It will certainly make a seldom-used bike a lot more reliable to start.
Whether it can make the battery last longer on a regularly used bike, is
debateable. Especially if you have year-round riding and no frost in winter.
It's deep discharging and long periods of disuse that really kill batteries.
Are you having starting problems now, and is the bike normally left sitting
for more than a few days at a time? How old is the battery?
I suppose an Optimate could make a dying battery (as in, needs a charge even
with the bike in almost daily use!) last a little longer, and is certainly
easier to use than a non-smart charger (just plug in and leave it) but
eventually it WILL completely die and possibly leave you stranded. A well
looked battery should last 3 or 4 years (or more) so trying to squeeze out
another month or two when it's clearly on its last legs is hardly worth it.

I doubt the Daytona comes with a power socket, but you can get the Optimate
supplied with a suitable plug. Otherwise, it comes with its own harness you
connect directly to the battery and can hide the connector under the seat or
sidepanel, etc.

Eoin

'04 ST955i