Re: [St] 2000 sprint ST wont start.

As far as I can tell from my experience is that the principle of bike starter
is different from the one on cages.
I attach the schematic for a 2002 on model. I can't remember if between 2001 and 2002
only the alternator moved or also the starter. But I think the principle remains.

So there is no translation movement but a kind of drum on which three rolls pushed by
three springs (I say three but could be four). When the starter turns, it tends to
stuck the rolls on the drum which in turn engage the crank. When its the cranks that is spining
it tends to retract the rolls. On the schematic, you can't see the detail. You just see the drum
from which the outside surface is used. The tolls plus springs are included in big part that goes on it.

When I had quite some time ago a similar problem (honda 750 four), the drum surface was damaged from
repetitive use (pretty old bike) then the rolls didn't stuck anymore. Check out the state of the
journal-like outer drum surface. I don't think that removing the cover let the oil going.

I send to your personal email the picture.

fred ST 02 BRG