[St] Speedo

Hi all,
can anyone help with this?
The speedo on my 2000 sprint st has stopped working.
When I removed the front fairing I found two wires which are connected to the front side light and are not included in my haynes wiring diagram. One if the wires is connected to a tiny bulb/sensor inside the light casing the other has broken off but clearly should be connected to something. I cannot see where it was connected to, and since I cannot find any other loose or damaged wires, I wonder if this is the reason my speedo has stopped working.
Can anyone tell me what these wires are?
Where the broken one should be reconnected to?
Whether they are the reason my speedo has stopped working?
Thanks Steve