[St] English v U.S.Mile

The american mile is 3.219mm longer than the english mile which doesn't make much difference to anything
  I'm Irish - too good to be English and too poor to be American!  we have our own mile called the 'country mile' this is a flexable measurement usually applied when estimating the distance to the nearest Pub ie.no matter where you are in Ireland there is always a pub "about a mile away" however it seems that ireland is the only country in the world that doesn't have any 'Irish' pubs.
  Go figure!