Re: [St] Luggage Rack Wanted

A few years ago I took my ST over to France for the first time and was
unsure what corrections were needed (if any) etc. to compensate for
LH / RH drive and dipped beams etc.  The advice given then was that
while cars have to install beam correctors (stickers on lights
usually), they are no longer required for motorcycles (no idea why).

As UK is now a super compliant Euro zone, I guess that also means that
bikes from France / Germany etc. don't need to correct the beam either
when they are in UK.

If that's so, you probably won't have to correct the beam on a US bike
either provided you don't register it here.  If you do, you'll have to
show your bike complies with UK requirements - for which I imagine the
only thing you'll need to change is the lights.  So you'd have a
couple of months or so to chase around to get whatever bits you need -
but it will cost you eventually.  But it seems that headlight
assemblies do exist in the second-hand market.  If you can find one
and eventually you go back to US, you may well be able to sell the
part when you leave - so net cost may not be so high. Or possibly put
it in for registration and hope they don't bother to check the lights...

Regards

Gavin Lawrie
ST'03

On 25 Apr 2008, at 23:08, marc Ve wrote:

> The lights that arrive for my RS looked exactly the same, except
> that the
> dim dropped to the left, instead of the  right.
>
> I dont really think that anyone would have noticed.
>
> Besides, everyone knows: Brit bikes Rule!
>

> cheers
>

> marc
>
> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Joel Ashman <ashmite@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Dip the wrong way?  Do you mean Up vs. Down?
>>
>> Just kidding of course, but could you provide more detail?
>>
>> I can only assume that you mean the lights are aimed differently
>> and that
>> they bias to one side more than the other depending on Right or
>> Left side
>> drive.  Or is that two low lights in the US vs one in GB?
>>
>> Thx!
>>
>> --Joel
>> PS,  Peter I'm just courious, but what is your rationale for
>> ditching the
>> side bags and adding the Givi top?   I always thought one of the
>> ST's best
>> feature was how well the previous generation's side bags
>> complimented the
>> overall design of the bike.
>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 5:30 PM, marc Ve <daytona955.marc@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Howzit Peter,
>>>
>>> moving the bike to the UK has its hassles.
>>>
>>> For no reason known to man the UK is cursed with the left hand drive
>>> system,
>>> just like South Africa (a nice ex colony).
>>>
>>> That means the headlights on your bike dip the wrong way - which I
>>> found
>>> out
>>> to my disgust when I bought a sweet German RS (right hand drive
>>> like the
>>> rest of the sane world )
>>>
>>> I bought the bike from the Triumph agents, and they obliged by retro
>>> fitting
>>> the left hand drive head light - a good chunk of cash.
>>>
>>> In the UK itn looks like sweet second hand trumpets are easy to
>>> find,
>>> unlike
>>> here.
>>>

>>> cheers
>>>
>>> Marc
>>> cape town, rsa

2GC Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Address: Albany House, Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 8BE.
Contact: +44 (0) 1628 421506 // info@xxxxxxxxx
Registered number: 3754183.
Registered office:16, Wentworth Road, Oxford OX2 7TQ.
http://www.2gc.co.uk/