[St] 98,398

OK first off I'm unreasonably upset I can't say it honestly made it to 100,000 miles. BUT, it didn't fail catastrophically and we have the technology to rebuild it. So here's the story.

For a few months I've been chasing an overheating problem on my 2002 Sprint ST. I figured after 90k miles some things are just worn out, so I tried replacing the thermostat, the radiator cap, and the temp sensor. All to no avail. When I really ride it hard the temp gauge goes up and won't come back down until it sits still for a while. It would hold it's temp if I rode it gently though. Unfortunately that's just not my style. The last home test I did was to start it from cold, whang the throttle(technical term there) 3 good times, then shut it off. I checked the radiator and had a great deal of pressure built up. Bad sign. I took it into my trusted dealership and they were able to confirm my suspicions. The head gasket was failing and allowing compression gases to leak straight into the water jacket.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0250.jpg

Fortunately the bike never started blowing white smoke, so it wasn't bad enough to be pulling water in. Since I'm stuborn and not willing to spring for a new Sprint, we're rebuilding. The pistons had just a little extra slop in them rotationally so they tore it completely down. This is actually pretty impressive.
Pistons just after the head was removed:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0236.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0237.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0238.jpg

The bores were very nice. You could still see good crosshatching, and very little vertical marking. Not much carbon build up at the combustion chambers either.

(due to board limits this story will have to be broken up into multiple posts. You can only link 4 pictures per post, it seems, so bear with me please)

And the combustion chambers:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0241.jpg

OK so the original cam chain was pretty tired, but that's to be expected:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0239.jpg

The overall head gasket was pretty tired too. It actually started to flake and delaminate when the mechanic was lifting the head:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0245.jpg

close up of the main chunk to flake up:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0247.jpg

Since we were already this far, and the pistons had some slight rotational slop, it was decided to tear the motor completely down. Besides we were all curious to see how the rest of it has survived me

NOT BAD AT ALL!

The cam lobes were almost brand new looking, and their bearing surfaces were barely marked:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0240.jpg

This is the oil pan BEFORE it was cleaned up. Those dark spots are the only 'sludge' to be found in the motor, and they were not deep at all.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0257.jpg

The crank faired very well too. Again, the bearing surfaces looked VERY VERY good:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0255.jpg

This is the crank end sprocket for the cam chain, it's showing some wear:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0258.jpg

The pistons after clean up.  Really very little marking on them at all.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0252.jpg
other sides:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0253.jpg

The piston pins looked worn, but you couldn't feel any ridges:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0254.jpg

And my final set of pictures is of the original clutch basket that was running all the original plates(which still had good fiber blocks on the fibers, obvious dimples still on the steels, and no ugly discoloration of those steels):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0259.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/stk0308/Sprint%20motor/IMG_0260.jpg

These marks are just noticeable when running your finger over them. I never had a clutch problem on this bike. Unfortunately the pics of the plates didn't turn out nearly as good as I had hoped. I think my cameras battery was running down near the end.

To fill in the first question on many peoples mind, yes I am having them rebuild the motor. It's cheaper than buying a new bike, this bike does everything I need it to do, and I'm 4 months away from being down to just my mortgage as my only debt. I'd like to experience that just once, thanks :)

Now the 2nd question. I only used Golden Spectro Semi-synthetic 10w40. Changed it every 6000 miles. And at every change I used a new oil filter. Most times a genuwine Triumph one, but others a K&N. I have done a lot of touring, commuting and backroads sportbike chasing on this bike, so I've been know to drone for hours on end at 75-80 mph, and other times I'm running it in the top 1/4 of it's RPM range to boogie down a twisty road. The bike has done 4 trackdays as well. Overall I'm very pleased with how the motor looks inside, I just wish it would have held on just a bit longer to make a true 100k miles unmolested. Then again, as many of my sportbike buddies have pointed out, over 96k miles is A LOT OF MILES!

BTW, early estimate from the shop is somewhere between $2700-2750. I was so excited by the relative little wear in the motor I forgot to ask if that was all toll with labor or not. It didn't sound like too many big parts were being replaced, so this could be close to the final damage. I'm hoping Triumph delivers quickly on the parts so I can find out before Labor Day weekend....and break it in on the way to eastern PA, LOL

I hope the picture links work here.

--
Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen
AMA Life Member #548538