Re: [St] Used Bike Tips

>I'm thinking of buying a W reg ST with 20,000 miles on the clock. It will be  my second bike after 2 years on an ER-5, after Direct >Access. Any tips what to look for on the bike?

As said Brett, never heard about real dramatical reliability problems w/ ST (except the rear hub seizing!).

However, here are some points of failure that were commonly seen(for what i recall):
- clutch cable (recall I think. Early models),
- fuel quick disconnect (recall),
- fuel gauge (recall),
- real hub bearing (recall),
- small coolant leaks (pre 2002)

- Also the valve clearance tends to change more on pre 2002 models. The valves must have been serviced.
- The rear hub right hand bearing must be greased up every 2 services.
- The stepper motor that regulate idle must be cleaned once in a while. It could get stuck.
- Some models eat some oil (rare). I think more on pre 2002. Always better to avoid them. Always
  difficult to know about when you buy it. I didn' recall of adverse effect other than if you get real
  low oil level you kill the engine (as on every engine).

Chase evidences of crash especially hard crash.
Have a look at the maintenance schedule and double check it was properly serviced.
If pre 2002, getting the CO2 adjustment done could be good too (no O2 sensor).

What was the consumption of the beast. For me 5,4l/100km road and around 7,2l/100km commuting/town.
If you are on the other side of the pond do your maths!

my 2 cents (euro cents)

Fred