Re: [St] Moving 01 Sprint Can Down, To Accomodate Bags

Steve,
First, most of us access the list via e-mail (I think) so I have no idea
on posting from the web page.

Second, I'm assuming you do NOT have the factory bags.  If you have the
factory bags, the can should already be lowered to fit them.  The
lowering "device" is really just a simple bracket, almost in a "Z"
shape, that you put between the passenger footpeg (where the pipe
currently is bolted) and the pipe.  You have to loosen the muffler
clamp, and then "rotate" the can down to fit it.  If you can find any
photos showing installation of the factory bags, you should see this as
part of the install.

That said, if you're looking at aftermarket bags (i.e. Givi or similar)
you shouldn't need this.  All the mounting brackets I've seen for the
Givi, H&B, etc. bags move them up and out compared to the factory bags.
(Emile Nossin used to be on this list and had quite a few photos of his
green Sprint with this setup last year.  Here's a link to his Sprint
gallery http://piloot.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/64036).  This makes the
bike wider, and doesn't "look" as nice, but the bags are much more
functional and actually seal correctly (there have been numerous reports
of leaking factory bags, mine included).

Good luck!
Dan in wet, snowy Chi-town...