Re: [St] New spec for 2008 1050 ST

Valid point, but considering the fat cyl heads that stick out of the big bore beemers, the width of the 675 is skinny by comparison. Ok, maybe comparing it to the 640 KTM Adv was a bit far, perhaps the BMW F800GS or KLR are better comparisons to the application that would interest me. I am thinking more dirt oriented than the current Tiger or even old Tiger, for that matter, but with the ability to tour to those nice dirt roads. This is where I think the triple would perform.

  Plenty of aftermarket bits would come along to protect the crunchy parts on a D/S, IMHO.

Matt Knowles <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Even though you were kind enough to agree with me, I have to disagree
here. For a true D/S I would want a narrower motor than a triple. A
true D/S needs to be able to fall over and not break the expensive
critical bits like the motor. I'd also prefer a single or v-twin for
the extra torque they would provide. Far more important in the dirt
than horsepower.

Love the triple, but I don't think that's a good application for it.

On Feb 9, 2008, at 8:08 AM, Todd J wrote:

> Personally seeing it in a true D/S package would get me to
> seriously consider it. To create a "little Tiger" ala "little
> S3" (Street Triple) might not make me as interested, but something
> to compete with the KTM 650 would.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/
motorcycles
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned