[St] National Ride Your Sprint Day

As I declared today National Ride Your Sprint Day I figured I'd
better get out and do my part.

After 5 weeks of almost solid rain, there were a lot of outdoor
chores that needed to get done so that's where most of the day went.
But it was such a spectacularly sunny day (well after 5 weeks of
rain, just the fact that it was dry made it spectacular) I couldn't
in good conscience leave the Sprint garaged.

It was a little after 3pm when I started out so I was planning a
simple run down the Avenue of the Giants and back. My ride to the
start of the Avenue is mostly through backroads that go through the
local dairy lands. I do love this time of year when all the fields
really green up. Lots of happy cows in this neighborhood.

Had to pick up the pace near one ranch were they were pumping the
manure holding tanks.  Couldn't hold my breath long enough.

Still lots of snow in the nearby hills from last weeks storm which
brought snow all the way down to sea level. Fortunately the roads I
was on weren't high enough to still be impacted by the snow.

Getting to the Avenue though I was reminded of the true hazard of
riding around in the mountains here this time of year. That green
band of moss down the center of the each lane is pretty slick and if
you want to stay upright, you better adjust your lines to take it
into account.

Only got down the first section of the Avenue when I came across a
Road Closed Ahead Sign. They've been having problems with mudslides.
5 weeks of almost solid rain will do that.

Fog was starting to roll in to and with the temps in the low 40s the
only thing that was making the ride bearable was that the sun was
out. So when it went away, I decided to hightail it back home.

Wish I had more to report, but that's all folks.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/
motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned