[St] changing it for ?: 675 now I guess

At 03:26 PM 2/9/2008, Patti wrote wrote:
>I too would love to have a smaller bike with hard luggage as a
>commuter.  The Sprint is awesome, but it's too much bike for
>kicking around the city.

My comment: Though I still have not ridden one I gotta think with the
Street Trip Triumph have made a perfect motorcycle for many people
for quite a lot of applications. Like ripping around the metro area.
Or the 'burbs. Not going four states over of course as many point out
but as Patti notes the Sprint is not the perfect in town bike. It may
be the perfect all around do everything if you could have just one
bike but some smaller, lighter bike is better suited for city duties.
Like the Street Triple. Seems to me the Hinkley boys have a magic
formula on that one with a few exceptions - doesn't it have lousy
suspension? With some kinda trunk on the thing it would seem to me to
be the same kinda fun and practical BULLSEYE as Honda hit with the
86-87 Nighthawk 700s were, think they called them Nighthawk 'S' here
stateside.

 >Joel, 675cc strikes me as just a bit undersized for
 >even a short range tourer, especially if you don't
 >want to have to be wringing every last bit of power
 >out of the motor.  Not saying it wouldn't be a heck of
 >a lot of fun, I always kind of liked the concept of
 >the MZ Scorpion. :)
 >It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they do
 >with that power plant.
 >
 >Nate
 >00SprintRS
 >-
 >675 undersized ?

RE: Baby Tiger? I tend to agree w/ our esteemed Volunteer Fireman. I
don't think the triple's power characteristics are ideal for off
road. Terribly suited? No; but think about it like this. A single is
best even when you take out the weight advantage. A four stroke 450
or something close to that unless you live where it's flat and
straight like western US then you need 625/650. Where I ride in
Southeast the lighter smaller displacements are preferable b/c you
can't utilize the extra power on tap in your 625's. But the singles
vibrate too much for them to be too useful on the road. Exceptions I
know you're thinking abound in those KLR's/DR, etc. Sorry for
rambling off topic which was why the triple isn't well suited for off
road. If a single offers what most folks feel is a desirable power
curve for off-road then Aprilia delivered many peoples wet dream in
the 450/550 twins year before last. Truly a dual sport dream motor.
And superMoto. Only trouble was most of the first batch of them that
made it to the US - and got here one year late wasn't it? - blew up.
The factory sent a container of replacement engines which dealers
were putting in for free I heard and the replacements seem to be
staying together. What makes the singles and miniature twins great
for off road? Power down low, I know everyone on this list is already
acutely aware of this elementary fact, SORRY, sometimes I have a bad
habit of pointing out the obvious. Guess I just felt like posting
something. Yeah, I really dig the 675 mill but think you'd have to
rev it too much to get that needed OOMPH off road. When you've just
rounded a bend on a trail and to your surprise you must quickly loft
the front tire to clear a small log crossing the trail having a
powerplant you have to spin up a bit to get anything noteworthy is
not the ticket.

SPRINT ST or RS CONTENT FOLLOWS:

I have sold my other motorcycle and am back to trusty Sapphire Blue
2000 Sprint ST !
It feels SO BIG! Like a chunky old girlfriend. Very warm and
welcoming, doesn't move around a lot or too quickly. But she'll do
anything you want. What a great gal, these old Sprint ST's ;-)

John Petrey