Re: [St] Ohlins shock for 955 ST...?

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Gavin Lawrie <gavin.lawrie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
>  Saw this on UK - ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330214740077&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123
>
>  Is this a good thing?  Any idea what would be a reasonable price for
>  it?  It appears to be used - but not clear how used.  Presumably the
>  shock could be rennovated but better question is perhaps if this is a
>  worthwhile replacement for the original - or am I better off thinking
>  about either getting another stock Triumph one, or a different one?
>
>  BTW, nothing seriously amiss with the stock Triumph shock right now.
>  But as 955 model drifts into the past, and as I'm inclined to keep
>  mine a few years yet, am thinking ahead to time when it might need
>  replacing (and so probably replacing earlier than needed).
>
>  What thoughts?
>
>  Regards
>
>  Gavin Lawrie
>  ST'03

The stock shock only has adjustments for preload and rebound damping
and it is not rebuildable. I think that the stock suspension is the
weakest point of 99-04 ST's

The Ohlins is one of the better replacement shocks for the ST and even
has a remote preload adjuster. Ohlins USA wanted $934.95 for one when
I was tempted. They are completely rebuildable. The EBAY ad does not
mention what weight rider the shock is sprung for. You may need to buy
a different spring and have it installed.

Wilbers also make a high end shock for the ST.

The cheaper option is a Penske. Great quality but not as adjustable
and no remote preload adjuster.

You may find this useful
http://www.triumphnet.com/list/2005/2005-April/msg00212.html

Rupert