Re: [St] Helmet Questions... (Nolan N102, etc.)

I suggest anyone interested in a Shoei Multitec try one for several minutes
before buying one.  Multitec's have less room behind the chin bar than any
other helmet I've worn.  When I bought mine it fit well and seemed
comfortable but the chin bar was close to nose and chin.  It was a large an
I wear a 7-5/8" to 7-3/4" hat, in case you are interested.  When I took it
home and went for a ride the wind pushing on it was enough to shift the
helmet enough that the chin bar would rub the lower tip of my nose and the
end of my chin.  I suppose you could make some remarks about my nose or chin
being abnormally large or something but I'm pretty average.  My helmet
buying checklist now includes pushing on the front of the chin bar to see
how much movement there will be from wind.  I guess I should have been doing
that all along.

The fit of the helmet wasn't quite what I expect from Shoei either (compared
to my wife's RF1000 and my X-Eleven).  The gaps between the shell and the
chin bar were uneven when it was closed and some of the plastic pieces
didn't sit quite right.  My helmet was a very early production model so
those things may have been worked out by now.  The paint finish was very
nice though.

The other thing about the Multitec and maybe all flip-ups is mounting the
headphones and mic for an intercom.  I think a boom mic might work - if
there is enough room between the chin bar and your mouth.

Anyway, I took my helmet back after my second ride and upgraded to a Shoei
X-Eleven.  Expensive but beautiful.  I am very particular about the fit of
my helmets and I assume all of you are too.  I had a large HJC CL-12 the fit
great.  The large Arai Quantum didn't fit quite right and either did a large
Shoei RF1000.

Just my personal experiences.

RoB Brown
Kent, WA