[St] Trip Report

Since we only see a couple of TRs on this list, I figure I will post my ride from a couple of weeks ago.

A long time friend (and touring mate) that I havent seen in years was racing at the Virginia Intl Raceway (VIR), about 150mi from the house. I figured it was at least an excuse to get out for a day. I pinged out to my local mates but no one was free, I even pinged the BMW group I ride with occaisionally but received no takers.

Left the house about 930am and headed down Rt360 to the "VA Festival of Speed!" at VIR. 360 isnt the most exciting road, but I wanted to make time. Got to about Amelia (30mi) and was tired of counting the cops running radar. I dropped onto Rt49 S and took that all the way to Rt 58. 49 S was a nice road, nothing special, just shady and remote feeling. Rt. 58 was nice, and I rode over one of the big bridges over Kerr Resv.  Lots of boaters out enjoying themselves and temps felt cooler over the lake. Buzzed through South Boston without issue and continued onto VIR. Got to VIR about 1215-30 and paid my entrance fee. There was no line. There were no bikes. I was asked if I was a spectator or with a crew. "With a crew", I replied. I got a red arm band. I buzzed through the raceway and noticed that NO ONE was there. No. One. I was approached by some VIR staff asking if I had a band and once the red was seen, I was flagged to the pits.

I quickly found the tents and my mate was riding a pit bike around looking for me. I wasnt hard to spot on the Trumpy. Lots of tents, lots of racers. Hung out the day at the tent talking old times, new times and about racing. My friend was an investment banker in NYC until about last Oct. He was laid off and has been touring the world since. Seriously. India, Thailand, Argentina...

They had two pit bikes and we buzzed around on these little 70cc dirtbikes watching the races and talking crap. I watched several races including all my mate was in and the three his pit mate was in. His pit mate rode expert class on a SV650 and a Yam R1. Marcus, my friend rides a Yam R6 but in the Amateur class. They are both really good. No on the track drama from either. Although one of the races the expert dude was in had someone litterally shouldering him out of his line. I was out on the track during the starts, right next to them as they blasted off, and stayed a couple of laps out there taking photos and some crappy video on my point and shoot. Having never been on the track during such an event, it was pretty cool.

There were no crowds, no music, no vendors (other than those directly serving the racers). Not much of a "Festival of Speed!!". I understand the WVA Summit Point "Festival of Speed! was packed. Both these guys where there. Marcus threw his bike down the track there.

I ended up leaving around 615 last night, watching the clouds building as the forecast was for the classic summer evening t-storms. I didnt make it but 20min before I was being pelted with rain. I was in my mesh jacket and regular riding pants. I pulled quickly and began to get my rain gear on when the real rain began. Big rain. I moved the bike under this little awning of an abandoned building right before the cats and dogs began. Then it began to hail. Visibility was no more than 100ft. The roads were flooding due to the rate of the rainfall. As I was suiting up a young cruiser rider pulled up in a t-shirt and jeans, rested for 20 sec under the awning, mumbled something, laughed, and then got back out in the rain. He even peeled out for my benefit (had to be for my benefit as no was else was there).

I finished suiting up and tried to wait it out for a short bit. It wasnt letting up and the thought of riding in the rain in the dark was unappealing. So I saddled up and headed out once the hail stopped. My glasses were fogged and covered in rain, and the inside and outside of the sheild was wet. Visibility was not optimal. In about 15-20mi I hit South Boston where I pulled in for fuel. The rain wasnt letting up. Lightening was flashing and the thunder was booming instantly. The roads were carrying 12in of water in places, esp the intersections. I fueled up, readjusted the rain gear and headed back out. The rain covers I was using over my gloves were failing already and I decided to just soak the Helds. It rained on and off the entire way back, at least until Amelia where I finally pulled the rain jacket off to dry the inside of me out. Even though temps were comfy for normal riding in mesh, being wet, I got cold and put on a layer. Didnt last long
 before the dampness forced me to stop again and put on the wind liner in my mesh. I made it back in about 4hrs.

I got those classic looks of "look at that idiot" from the cages that either I passed or were passing me and the horrified looks of "Oh Crap" from the opposing riders heading into the darkness. I guess a yellow rain suit does kinda stand out a bit.

No rain was even felt at our house and the grass continued to fry.

I wouldnt change a thing. The Sprint was absolutely flawless. Boots took three days to dry.