[St] Fuel Economy and Valve Adjustments

Just an update on my post-valve adjustment fuel economy.  I followed the group's advice and rechecked it over 3 tanks of fuel.  I am getting roughly 43mpg commuting, back road racing, etc.  That is what I got before the tune-up, which leads me to my next question.  After the valve adjustment service, the only improvement  I noticed was that the engine may run a little smoother.   I only had the service done because my bike was at the 12k mile mark (I know, go ahead and laugh.  But I have only had the bike since August '07) and that is what Triumph recommends.  The non-Triumph mechanics I know tell me that the valve adjustments are more important when the bike is newer because you want the valves to seat properly.  In my case, I just did not feel I got $400 worth of benefit from the service.  Is it good practice get valve adjustments every 12k?  If not, what signs let you know your bike is ready for a valve adjustment?

Derek Wilson
2000 Sprint ST