Re: [St] Turbo Sprint

Derek,
I haven't read all the other posts on this thread, but I have a 2K Sprint ST and I have to agree with you about the 99-04 Sprints. I thought the Turbo was pretty cool when I saw it a couple of years ago, but I just like to tinker with bikes but still keep my ST in ridable condition. I am currently talking to a guy who has a Daytona that was
written off by the insurance co as being totaled. It looks like all the
plastic is trashed but the engine and forks and frame looks OK as far as
I can see in the pictures. It had frame sliders on it so if I go to take
a closer look, that will be a major area for inspection. It is a days ride away so I'm trying to get him to take more pics before I make the
trip to see it. I would like to have a naked Triumph with the upgraded
suspension of the Daytona.
One of the things I am looking for is a 60's era 500 CC Triumph engine
just to make a coffee table out of or put it on a display stand in my shop. I think this is the prettiest engine Triumph ever made. But I'm not going to put any oil in it though.
Al

Derek Wilson wrote:
I appreciate all of the sage advice regarding the Turbo. Although I already knew better, I was hoping someone could tell me that adding one to my bike would not destroy the economy and longevity of the engine. The reason I have a Triumph is because I love their bikes. The reason I have a Sprint ST is because I can only justify one bike right now, and in my opinion it is one of the most versatile bikes ever produced. It says a lot when a machine is capable of going 700 miles to TN in comfort, race around the dragon's tail and other less popular but equally as challenging roads, do it all in style and getting 50mpg. And the reason I have a 2000 is because I prefer that body style and it is the last black ST year. I expected somebody to get offended when I said I prefer the 99-04 over the new ST. But just because I would like a shaft-driven 1200cc triple should not mean I have to buy a Concours. Just a matter of preference. I agree with J.S. in that I am eager to see what the revision of the ST will entail. Because as much as I like my bike, it is harder to find parts and knowledgeable mechanics for a Triumph that is 8 years old as opposed to a newer model. And yes, I woul
d l
ike a just a little more gitty-up when passing trucks on my way to work without buying a Hayabusa.
Derek Wilson
2000 ST