[St] Fork oil question....

I am in the middle of changing my fork oil and have a
question. When refilling, the shop manual lists a very
specific height to fill the oil to, but it does not
specify ( at least I didnt see it) whether to have the
forks strait up and down ( off the bike), or
reinstalled before filling. Seems to me this would
affect the oil height, given the tilt in the steering
head, or at least the point at which it is measured
from. Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

John

PS, I already bought some, but just for kicks, what
kind of fork oil does everyone like? OH NO!  I did it
again... Running for cover..  :-)

PSS That was a joke. Lets NOT start a fork oil thread.
How about muffler bearings?