Re: [St] Fork oil question....

Almost sounds like a troll, but this list doesn't generate that type of behavior, so here goes...

On Jun 14, 2008, at 9:03 PM, Karl Clark wrote:

I didn't know I was supposed to change the Fork oil.

Time to take a read through the owner's manual. There's likely a few other things you might have missed. Yes all fluids need to be changed from time to time, engine/transmission oil, fork oil, brake fluid, coolant, and the very important blinker fluid.

I have one of the forks hissing at me, is that what it needs, new oil?

Is it leaking oil? It sounds like you may have a blown seal.

Where do I get seals?

Your Triumph dealer.

Is that with the Gold Cap 15-50 oil?

No. Fork oils are different from engine oils and are typically one weight around 5 to 15. What weight you should use will depend on what type of roads you typically ride, your weight, whether you've done any mods to the forks such as adding emulators or preload, aftermarket springs, etc.

I have been putting in Synthetic in the motor every 5k miles, but I found out the other day that the Synthetic I've been using is wrong, it's got detergents in it.

There's nothing wrong with detergents in the oil, in fact you want detergents in the oil and it would probably be hard to find one without. What you don't want is a energy efficient oil that has friction modifiers added. Those can be so slippery they will harm your clutch.

Should I put the Detergent oil in or the gold cap stuff?

Most would recommend a motorcycle specific oil. I'm not going to get into what brand. Use the owner's manual to determine what weight you should use for your climate and riding habits.

Seems to me the 15-50 is thick for the engine, I've been using that 5-15 I think it is.

Jeez I hope you haven't been using 5-15. That might be good for a sewing machine, but not a motorcycle.

ALso my front 2CT went flat - it is pretty thin so I need a new tire up there. I'm thinking about going back to the plain Pilot Power but someone suggested the Metzler 6. I'm going to flip a coin but just thought I'd throw that out there too.

I don't use either brand so I can't make a recommendation there, but I do like the Road Attacks I have on now.

I'm sooooo confused.
Seriously, I am.

Apparently.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/ motorcycles
'99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
'01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
'97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
'79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned