Re: [St] Helmet time...

On 20 Jun 2008, at 16:21, Dan Wetherington wrote:

So begin:
What helmet?

Schuberth S1 Pro - replacing a Schuberth S1

Where purchased?

Helmet City - UK based retailer - http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/

Noise?

Excellent - especially when in clear air. Picks up turbulence noise behind screens, best is stock ST low screen, worst is Triumph Touring Screen, best compromise MRA Vario screen on lowest setting.

Venting?

Excellent - bit drafty in cold weather without 'air dam' fitted. Some leakage around visor - but think this is fixable with adjustment to visor mounts.

Fogging?

Has pinlock visor, and this works OK when it works, but is useless when it doesn't (e.g. in heavy rain the pinlock eventually fills with water... ;( ). With pinlock insert removed, the Pro visor is less good than stock S1 visor (which fortunately fits Pro helmet) - S1 stock has excellent water repelling / mist repelling coatings which appear to be absent on pinlock version. Pinlock also gets seriously into line of vision when riding the ST - I think it probably only works well when you are sitting bolt upright. When leaning forward, pinlock top edge is right in sight line...

Comfort? (I know, this is dependent on head shape)

Very good. S1 / S1 pro effectively same (pro has more vents - really only difference), and works for me. But YMMV.

Would you replace it with the same model?

Yes for summer riding - additional vents in Pro version really work well and aid cooling etc. But would seriously consider keeping S1 for winter riding as it is less drafty and visor probably just as good at pinlock in keeping things clear in dodgy weather conditions.

Any other comments?

Had the S1 for about four years, and changed when Pro released to get the improved vents - S1 in summer can get pretty hot inside. Only two significant other changes in Pro - addition of Pinlock visor (which really doesn't work - I think it is added for getting the 'tick box' in reviews rather than because it is an improvement), and change that makes 'air dam' (bit of material below chin) a removable option (clips into bottom of helmet when needed). With old S1 visor, I reckon S1 Pro a useful improvement. S1 is seriously quiet compared to the Shoei I used to have. Vents / visor are all easily adjustable one- handed (unlike Arai - where you need to remove helmet to fiddle with vents...).

HTH

Gavin Lawrie

2GC Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Address: Albany House, Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 8BE.
Contact: +44 (0) 1628 421506 // info@xxxxxxxxx
Registered number: 3754183. Registered office:16, Wentworth Road, Oxford OX2 7TQ.
http://www.2gc.co.uk/