[St] Frame Sliders - Protective wear

We've been working with R&G on this one. We have a tame Triumph dealer and
have checked several customer bikes.

Per my previous reply, my 04 ST went down the road at substantial speed with
no more than abrasion damage to the Puck and lower fairing.

So far we can not come up with a definitive answer but....

Incomplete tests SUGGEST that torque is critical. If the bolt is not
tightened enough there can be sufficient movement to cause a problem if
there is a sudden deceleration rather than sliding. If over tightened there
is also the potential.

If the knob digs into a pot hole or a kerb it's all over - The force
transmitted to the frame at anything over 25-30mph in decelerating to almost
zero in an instant cannot be absorbed by any means known to man. In those
cases just be thankful it was the frame that came to a sudden stop, not your
noggin.

We've seen a couple of bikes where the bolt hole is larger, suggesting that
Triumph MAY have changed a tool here at some point.

I haven't forgotten this, just don't have a definite conclusion.

Someone also asked about my thoughts on protective gear as an ex cop.

There is no substitute for GOOD QUALITY leather at speed. Ballistic fabric
is good at lower speeds but at 65mph plus speeds on the road, the tarmac
acts like very coarse sandpaper and goes through the fabric reasonably
quickly. Around town and in the short ride into the country where I live
(lucky to get above 50mph) I wear a Shift Ballistic jacket which I feel
gives adequate protection.

I do like some of the new Leather/Ballistic combo's where you get leather
panels on the back, shoulders, elbows which are the area's at greatest risk.
The ballistic fabric gives better ventilation than the full leather. In full
leather on a hot day, you stink very quickly.

On the lower end, I always wear Draggin' Jeans with the Kevlar inserts.
Leather's just too uncomfortable in hot weather.

Cheers