Re: [St] Frame sliders

On 24 Jun 2008, at 11:04, steve scilley wrote:

However, I am not an engineer, but I suspect that when you have to hold the slider with an open spanner on one side of the bike and torque from the other, getting an exact torque setting might not happen, because of possible movement of the spanner.

It should not make a difference. A torque wrench simply measures the twisting force on the socket drive at the end of the wrench, it doesn't know if that torque is being supplied by the wrench itself (i.e. when bolting something into 'an immovable object') or by something connected to the other end of the bolt twisting in the other direction. In the scenario you describe some of the torque will come leverage applied to the wrench, some from your resisting the torque applied with the open spanner. All you need to do is set the wrench to the required torque and it will click (or whatever your's does) when it gets to the write total.

Regards

Gavin Lawrie

2GC Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales.
Address: Albany House, Market Street, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 8BE.
Contact: +44 (0) 1628 421506 // info@xxxxxxxxx
Registered number: 3754183. Registered office:16, Wentworth Road, Oxford OX2 7TQ.
http://www.2gc.co.uk/