Re: [St] St Digest, Vol 39, Issue 33

> Message: 4> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 18:22:01 -0700 (PDT)> From: Todd J <me_shucker@xxxxxxxxx>> Subject: [St] Ear plugs, noise reduction and music> To: Sprint List <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Message-ID: <149450.50592.qm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1> So, tell me folks, do you find that the ear plugs work for both noise reduction and work well enough to produce decent sound quality? > ?> I ride with just ear plugs to reduce road noise, helmet roar, etc. I have considered using my mp3 player while riding but wonder if I am defeating the purpose of the ear plugs (protect my ears from sustained loud noise) by playing my music loud enough to be heard?over the background noise. > ?> Is there a perfect match? Noise cancelling AND sound quality w/o sacrificing your hearing?> Todd>

The answer is yes.  It's called custom molded earplugs with speakers.  Currently I have these: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/chmisearph.html .  I can plug them in to the Autocom (with their adaptor), or plug them straight in to my mp3 or Zumo if I don't have a passenger.  Plus, they work great on airplanes.  No speakers to mount in your helmet, either.  I was not brave enough to make the molds myself, so went to a local audiologist who was nice enough to do them for free.

Eric
Portland, Oregon