[St] How effective are heated grips?

Well last night I found out just how effective heated grips are.
After spending the day out riding and taking pictures, it was time to
return home from Shelter Cove which is an hour and 45 minutes from
Ferndale. Even though the day was beautiful, around here it can get
real nippy as soon as the sun disappears.

I knew I wanted to try photographing the sunset and that would mean a
long dark ride back. But I was prepared with electric vest and clear
face shield.

After packing up the camera after the disappointing sunset I started
my ride home. First thing I realized is that the road to Shelter Cove
isn't a road I really enjoy on the Sprint (it's more of a KLR road)
and at night it was quite unpleasant as it is simple too curvy for
the Sprint's stock headlights.

But a few minutes into the ride I noticed something else. My left
hand was getting warm but the right wasn't. Changed the setting to
high and still the same thing. Damn! The common wire must have broken
from my excessive throttle twisting.

By the time I rolled into Ferndale about 8:15, it was 42 degrees out.
Coupled with the 70mph wind chill it made for a chilly ride but the
heated vest kept it manageable. When I got off the bike though I
found I could barely move my right fingers, while my left hand felt
just fine.

A good reminder of what life was like before heated hand grips and
why I'll never own another bike without them!

I guess I also have one more project for this weekend.

Matt Knowles - Ferndale, CA - http://www.knowlesville.com/matt/
motorcycles
  '99 Sprint ST - for going fast and far (2CZUSA)
  '01 KLR650 (A15) - for exploring the North Coast backroads
  '97 KLX300 & '01 Lakota - for playing in the dirt
  '79 KZ400 - just because it was the first vehicle I ever owned