Re: [St] Insurance

At 10:55 AM 3/12/2008, you wrote:

>A guy I work with is thinking of getting a 2006 Yamaha R6.  He
>talked to someone with Progressive (supposedly) and was quoted
>$7000/yr.  I'm not sure of the coverage he was asking for, but he
>tryed scaling it down a bit but it was still $4000/yr.
>
>IMO THAT'S INSANE.  I thought Progressive was decent motorcycle
>insurer.  I used them for my 2000 Sprint RS and my insurance was only $360/yr.
>
>Does anyone know if insurance for R6 type sport bikes is really that
>insanely high or was he being taken?
>
>Rich

Sounds like there are a lot of factors involved in your friends quote.
For example;
what is his age?
past driving record?
how long has he had is motorcycle endorsement?
is this his first bike?
is this his first full coverage bike?
does he have auto coverage with them (or somewhere else)?
has he taken a BRC or ERC?
had he ever crashed another persons bike?

Not to mention he's insuring an r6 which is a crash (and burn) and
theft magnet.

Hey when I was buying the VFR, I shopped around and had quotes that
were about 3300 a year (no tickets, no bike accidents, 17 years of
riding experience, out of state for 5 yrs, over 30,etc).
I was discouraged and about to given up when i got a quote from my sf agent.

410/yr.
I scribbled out the check in about 30 seconds.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"