Re: [St] Don't jump start

At 11:28 AM 3/15/2008, you wrote:

>One more connection and you could have acid in your face!
>
>Jump-starting does involve adding a second battery in parallel.  And
>there is no harm in it except when making the connection, as someone has
>already pointed out.  If you scratch around with the crock-clips, you
>will cause sparks and voltage transients that can damage computer chips.
>  If the ignition is switched off when connecting, then the ECU should be
>disconnected from the battery so that is a protection.

It's a simple matter of being careful.

As for jumping from a car, DON'T do it with the car's engine running.
The simple fact of the matter is 90% of the cars on the roads today
have charging systems that can easily put out double or triple output
of most bikes .

So if you jump start a bike with the car engine running, the Car's
alternator and regulator can (and often will) provide spike of too
much current to try to keep the voltage up when you hit it with the
starting circuits load.

JohnS
A Dragon Ascending
"Forging my body in the Fires of my Will"