Re: [St] Don't jump start

On Sat 15 Mar 2008, Neil Lindsey wrote:

> any car battery that is in a reasonable state of charge should be more than
> capable of delivering the required current
>
> if you are still having trouble getting the bike's engine to turn over, I
> would suggest considering the quality of the electrical connections, and/or
> the gauge/quality of the jumper cables themselves

I found it hard to get a good connection at the bike battery, because the
terminals are small, partially shielded by the battery case, and the booster
cable clips are bulky. So the contact area was small, adding resistance. I
overcame that problem by increasing the boost voltage from about 12.5 to 14.4
V by starting the car :)

The cables themselves are quite thick and have been used to jump start cars
with no difficulty.

Incidentally I have read in more than one car manual that you should *always*
start the booster car when jump starting, in order to avoid draining its
battery! The opposite of the accepted wisdom in the bike world, it seems :)
the car manuals do emphasise the importance of connecting and disconnecting
in the correct order, and ensuring the booster car is not running above idle
when disconnecting, this reduces the possibility of transient currents.

Eoin

'04 ST955i